Thursday, April 28, 2011

Product Grading System


This rating system is based on my opinion on products that I have personally tested. I give my honest opinion on all products that I test no matter if I purchase them or are given to me. As a makeup artist I am here to be your personal beauty informer. To help you with all your beauty needs & by providing this rating system I hope to help you with your future beauty purchases. This is my pledge to you.

All categories of the rating are based on a point scale that add up to 100% & will receive a letter grade for overall score of the product.



Product
 
(30% of score)
  • Based on: effectiveness, efficacy & performance.
  • Does it do what the company states?
  • Does it perform like it should?
  • Does it have color payoff?
  • How well the product works.
Pigmentation
( 20% of score)
  • Based on: Whether the color is true to what you see in the package.
  • Whether its sheer or opaque or sheer to full coverage this is important depending on what type of product you are looking for.
Durability
( 20% of score)
  • Based on: how long a product lasts on the skin with/without a base.
  • No one wants to buy an eyeshadow that doesn't adhere to the skin properly. 
  • Makeup has to be able to withstand the elements & time. Or at least outlast your work day.
Texture
( 10% of score)
  • Based on: How the product feels when applied; feels flakey, velvet, creamy etc.
  • Texture plays a big part in not only the overall outcome of the product but the application process.
  • No one wants flakes of eyeshadow all over their cheeks or fallout that smears all over their freshly applied foundation.
Application
(10% of score)
  • Based on: Ease of use; what method is best for application & Directions.
  • Products are normally fairly simple & easy to navigate for usage. This is a pretty self explanatory category
  • How long does it take me to open the package? If it takes longer than 2 minutes I most likely give up on the product, toss it & play video games.

Appraisal
( 5% of score)
  • Based on: Price equals out to expectations/quality; whether its worth purchasing & grams to dollars. 
  • A $3 lipstick & a $30 lipstick are not in the same ball park & are not helpful to you if I compare them to each other, which in turn will give no products a true value.
  • Value is a combination of product's price against similar products from other brands in my eyes.
  • For instance comparing value across brands like Nars, Chanel, Dior & Illamasqua but I would never compare these types of brands to drugstore brands such as Revlon, Cover Girl, LO'real & Nyx. Or for instance if you are paying $40 for .5 oz for a tinted moisturizer that doesn't have a tint to it then I feel like I'm wasting my money personally. 
  • How much usage do I get out of the product? 
  • How much product do I get for my money? 
  • How does it compare to similar brands?
  • Value is very important to everyone. Especially those on a budget, but just because a product is expensive doesn't mean it should receive a low score or be overlooked. Sometimes the more you spend the better of a product you get.

Packaging 
( 5% of score)
  • Based on: Box/Plastic the product comes in; Hygienic manner in which its packaged; how well its packed; how fuctional the container is; design of product; label with ingredients, instructions & logo; legibility of label & product damage in transit to my hands. 
  • Product packaging design is normally the first thing that grabs my attention in stores & online.
  • Who doesn't love a pretty lip gloss tube? You wouldn't buy a lipstick in a paper tube would you? Talk about a mess. 
Grading System
( Score out of 100% referred to a letter grade) 
A ~ 100 - 90%
B ~ 89 - 70 %
C ~ 69 - 50%
D ~ 49 - 30%
F ~ 29 - 0 %
 This rating system is subject to change or be updated. 
 Updated: 4/27/2011

Hope this covers all the bases now. No more loop holes & a more thoroughly examination of products. I feel like a scientist looking through a microscope when I analyze beauty products. 
XOXO, Vanessa Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment